Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Elder Harrison Adams 7/4/16 Morehead City, NC

Family and Friends,

Happy 4th of July! 

To start off, we had a really good and enjoyable week this week. One of my dreams came true this week. Me and Elder Gibb were just trying to visit a few people, and they weren't there. Then some little Hispanic kids (around the age of 10, there were 4 of them) yelled from a porch "vamos a jugar?" So we went over and told them we'd play with them for a little bit so they got out their basketball and we played a quick pickup game in the middle of a trailer park! Granted the kids were all really short. And Hispanics are definitely better at soccer, not basketball. But we had a good time playing a quick game with them. After we were able to share a quick message with them, and are hoping in the future that we will be able to teach their parents as well. 

 With it being the week of the 4th, I've been reflecting a lot about freedom and our Independence day. Being here in the United States, I'm not sure I quite understood or appreciated all of the freedoms and things that were available for me growing up. Serving my mission with the Hispanic people here in the United States has broadened my vision. Some words of advice one of my investigators gave me a few weeks ago really stuck with me. We were talking about what we wanted to do as our professions. And after he looked at us, and said "Then go do that. Here, you can do and be whatever you want. Be whatever you want. Don't miss out on that."

Another thought that has been on my mind a lot this week was a comment a member made in my last area. When he first came to American, he had nothing. Then he expressed his love for America, and the wonderful opportunity it gives people. He had just opened his own tire shop and started his own business. A lot of people think the American dream is dead. But it's not. We have such great opportunities here, and I'm grateful to live in this country. 

Along with all of that, some other really good things have happened this week. This fast Sunday our investigator Alex got up and shared his testimony. Our other investigator Chris (the hippy surfer) wore pants to church, so I count that as progress! We've also had a lot of opportunities to teach, and the Spirit has been so strong. Especially coupled with fasting, prayer is such an amazing tool. God answers prayers. 

 Well happy 4th of July! Our plans tonight include going to the Morehead waterfront to watch some fireworks (from there we will also be able to see the fireworks from Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, and Pine Knoll Shores). Be safe!

Love,


Elder Adams 

No comments:

Post a Comment