Monday, July 17, 2017

Elder Harrison Adams 6/26/17 Wilson, NC

Family and Friends,

Hello! This week was a crazy one. Saying bye to all of the people I love in Greenville, and then coming here to Wilson! Wilson is a great place. It's really small. In fact, it's the smallest town I've ever lived in. There's nothing too special about the town, nothing out of the ordinary. Except they have a park full of some things called whirley gigs. I guess they are more or less giant shapes made out of metal that spin when the wind blows. I didn't get a photo of them but maybe in a week or two I'll have a photo.

The good majority of the population here is African American with Hispanics being a close second. There are lots of bugs here, which is never too fun. In fact, our house is right by some fields of pine-straw. People out here use pine-straw as filler in their flowerbeds. Pine-straw also is a perfect breeding ground for cockroaches. So needless to say, we have lots of cockroaches outside our house, and quite a few end up getting in the house as well. Even though we keep it clean. I've already killed about 20 cockroaches in the house since I got here last Wednesday.

My new companion es Elder Burke. He's from Idaho, somewhere in the southern part. He's been on his mission for a little under a year. We get along really good! He played lots of sports back home so we can relate in that way, and he's also a really great missionary.

Church yesterday was fantastic. The church building is really small. There's only one hallway in the building that has about 8 classrooms branching off of it. Then they have the chapel and a quarter size gym. Currently the church is undergoing some remodeling so the gym is closed 'til September. The congregation was a big size considering how small the building was. And there are lots of Hispanic members here. This is the biggest congregation of Hispanic members I've had on my mission, apart from when I served in the branch in Newport News. In total, there were about 14 Hispanic members at church. The members here are super nice. Several of them have offered to feed us this week, and an older lady wants to teach us how to cook seviche.

As for as missionary work, it's really good here as well. We have quite a few people we are working with. The most promising right now is a young man, about 12 years old. I haven't been able to meet him yet, since when we saw him I was on exchanges, but I'm excited to meet him this upcoming week. 

We also met with a man who took the lessons from missionaries about 5 years ago. He doesn't remember much, but we were able to teach him about the Book of Mormon and the importance of it. I love the Book of Mormon. I love all of the canonized scripture that we have, but I have a special favor especially towards the Book of Mormon. I know without a doubt that it is the word of God. I know that the people it talks about actually lived, and we have a lot to learn from their example. I love being able to read from the Book of Mormon everyday. That's something I want to continue doing for the rest of my life. I know this church is true, and I'm so grateful to be here serving my mission. Thank Y'all so much for all you do! Keep up the good work!

Love,

Elder Adams


(Sorry for no photos this week, I forgot to bring a cord to upload the photos onto the computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment